Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Candy hair clips!

Result...tons of cute hair clips!
             I promised the twins something fun when they got home from school today  . A friend of mine gave me the idea except she had seen them as pins.  We went to Family Dollar and got a bag of gum balls, and a bag of assorted hard candies. Then we went to Sally's and picked up a box of metal hair clips. (I will just mention for anyone who has girls with hair, Sally's has the best clear small rubber bands and they are the cheapest too)

1. cut small strips of ribbon to put in between the clip so you don't glue the clip shut.
2. glue on your gum or what ever hard candy you choose. (I painted some flowers on the plain hard candies with just cheap craft paint)
3. take outside and spray with clear glaze. This gives it the glass like finish (and hopefully will keep the      kids from eating there clips for a snack.
4. I did find that if you turn the clip upside-down the flat candies look better.
5. I also hot glued a few of the candies to some bobby pins.
All in all the kids had fun, and you can say Ooh that's so cute, or you can say "Hun you have a piece of candy stuck in your hair!"