Friday, May 6, 2011

Get ready, Get set GARDEN!


Tallons hands were freezing because he got into the water hose.  Then he discovered the compost was nice and warm. 
I told him it was poop! He seemed to enjoy it even more!
I am determined to have an awesome garden this year. Last summer I spent 6 weeks in Texas with my in laws, so this year I am refreshed and ready to go.  I have been told that the green waste plant in Lindon has the best compost you can get. I have seen the garden vegetables it produces....but I am so grossed out by the thought of sticking my hands in it. I hate wearing gloves!!! I decided this year I was going for the best. Just look at that dark color!  The compost is made up of green waste and treated sewage...It smells to high heaven. You can see by the color that it is very rich( no rocks).  It is also very warm.   If you are interested in getting compost, you buy this stuff by the yard. It is $20.00 a yard. It is pretty close to the Lindon dump. If you get off the  first Lindon exit (coming from the north side) and head west you will see signs.  

Other things I have done to improve my garden this year. I have been turning the dirt and picking out all the rocks. YES very tedious... I live in Lehi and I don't know if it is just this area but I live on a rocky sand pit.  Just useless info...but I have picked at least 2 , 5 gallon buckets full of rocks out of my garden beds. I have several boxed in beds that I have put gravel and rocks around to keep the weeds out so I just add to those piles.
This is not the best picture but you get the idea of the box and gravel around it. You can see a few weeds around in the rocks, but since the rock is so deep the weeds just come right out. Yes that is my rain gutter in the back ground. It fell off!


I am also expanding my growing areas. I have a very large family and a large number of canning jars to fill each year, so i find myself over planting and expecting more vegetables. I think I end up with the opposite result.  So I dung up another area. I had all these bricks so I used them as a border to keep the grass out. I dug over 3000 pounds of sod out of this area ...Yes all by myself. NO I am not in as good of shape as that sounds. I put about a 1-2 inch border of rocks in front of the bricks to also aid in the grass protrusion. I used rocks that I picked out of the sand under the sod. So this project so far has only cost me money in compost to till into the sand I uncovered.
This area get full sun. All I need to do now is mix in the compost.



As if that was not enough. I asked my hubby to build me another raised garden on the other side of the yard as well. This area also gets full sun all day long. He wanted to take down our patio so he could build a fully enclosed one. The wind rips through here so hard some times that the one he had was just Boeing outward. So he used the timbers from that for supports for my grapes and black berries. 



The timbers in the center of this are all cemented in the ground. I have two big black berry plants on one end and two grape vines on the other.  The timbers will support the upward growth of those bushes. I also have 16 inches around the front,back and sides so I can plant a from all angles.

My wonderful and supportive husband dug out all the surrounding grass. He found these nice landscape timpers  at Lowes for $3.00 a piece. He is going to build the box 4 timbers high. I am excited. 

No comments: