Thursday, April 7, 2011

Fun Waffle pizza!

               I have been wanting to try something new with my waffle maker, because we never eat waffles. I figured it cooks bread...Right! So I was outside working away and realized it was dinner time and I had a few of the kids friends over. They had been helping me pluck rocks out of my grass, so I wanted to let them eat over and try something different.
Dough recipe
3 cups of flour
1 TBLS yeast
2 TBLS oil
1 tsp salt
1TBL sugar
1 cup of water/ you can also use milk or half milk half water.
1 egg (optional)
1/2 tsp baking powder (optional)

Dissolve yeast and sugar into bowel. Add egg, oil and salt (mix well) Put in 2 cups of flour and then work the dough as you go to get the consistency so you can form the dough without it sticking to you. If you feel like you are adding to much flour try pouring a little oil in your hands and then work the dough.  Knead the dough until nice and ....you know what it should look like!  Roll it out AND....


 Throw that dough on, clamp the waffle maker down and cook it like a waffle. Add  your sauce and toppings (I chopped my pepperoni up so it would fall into the holes instead of covering them)and then bake  on 425 until  melted (the crust should be cooked through when you take it out of the waffle maker) so you can stick it on the top rack if you are in a hurry. If you want it more crispy then let it cook in the middle rack for about 10 minutes and WALLA... OMG....it was so yummy!  You have this crust that is soft and crunchy and the pockets of the waffle maker give you uneven sauce and cheese ...creating the perfect bite!
I put the toppings in this on and then folded it over. The sauce bubbled out before it was done,   so I did a second one and left the sauce out. After it came out of the waffle maker, I put a layer of sauce and cheese on the top and baked it for a few minutes. 
              The kids asked for dessert, and I had a ton of dough left (I more than doubled my batch) so I rolled out more threw it on the waffle maker. Then topped it with butter and honey! It was like a healthier version of the scone. (Just minus the grease) both pizza and scones were a huge hit! One of the kids friends said "I was the coolest friend mom"   Big hit ...  And best of all it was so easy! I have a hot roll mix that I keep in a huge 5 gallon bucket that would work for the crust as well. All you do is add egg and water to it. I will post that recipe later!   I had tripled the amount of dough. I fed 8 starved kids, 2 adults and I brought one of each over to a neighbor to try. I still have three whole pizzas left over and I gave a chunk of dough to my neighbor to try out.

No comments: