Friday, April 8, 2011

Healthy Chicken Meat Balls Recipe

            I was at Costco today and they had samples of chicken meatballs. I almost bought them but for $5.00 a pound I decided to try my own.  I searched the web when I got home and did not find anything that was healthy or low carb. So I came up with my own!  Not only was my creation just as tasty, but they did not even compare in nutrition.  This recipe is basically carb free, and very low fat, low sodium and no preservatives.
Here is what you will need!
 Cut 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts into chunks put in processor, Add 2 eggs and process. The eggs help it blend a little easier, but can be added later or not at all.

Looks nasty.
Add 1 red bell pepper and 2 round TBLS of minced garlic to processor and process.
Then transfer to a good size bowel.
Throw in 10-12 cups of fresh spinach process...
Add 1 cup of feta cheese, about 2 TBLS basil ( I used dry because that was all I had)

Dump all this into your bowel of chicken!
Add about a quarter cup dry onion flakes. ( I wanted the onion chunks to be a little bigger) You can blend them if you just want the flavor without texture.
Sprinkle salt and pepper to your liking. I tried one batch with no salt and it needed salt. Although the feta cheese seems to add a bit of a salty flavor. 
Mix everything together!
Looks like pesto....

It is going to be to gooey to work with, unless you add bread crumbs. (which you can do) 
Spray a cookie sheet with vegetable oil and put spoonfuls of chicken in rows.  Remember they are not cookies and they will actually shrink in size, so you can put them pretty close together.
Bake for 10 minutes at 425. Then put on top rack and broil until browned to your desire. I turned my first batch but you don't have to!
Finished!

These were so yummy!
All my kids loved them. The best part is...Everything in this recipe is healthy.

I just ate the chicken balls by themselves (as I am on a low fat low carb diet)

For the kids I made some orzo and red sauce then added the chicken balls on top.  
 Not a wet bowel in the house tonight!

We all liked these so much that I decided while I had all the stuff out I may as well make a few more batches.   Diets are so much easier when you have food ready to eat.  I added Jalapeno to one batch.  Added a kick but not as good!
  I also tried a batch without the egg. Although it did turn out, I liked the lighter spongy effect the eggs gave to the first batch.
I also tried some curry powder in one batch (as we love curry) Although it smelled delicious...The first batch was the best! My hubby loved the curry one's.

The possibilities are endless!

I am an idiot...but I am so proud!

4 comments:

Fancypants said...

Mmmmmm. I'm going to make these for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Adrian said...

I am going to try this. A bit batch, then freeze them. That pizza looks fun too. You are always so creative in the kitchen. I hate experimenting because if it doesn't work out I am so disappointed in the time I spent for nothing. I want to be like you! AND...I MISS YOU. Please let's start playing more. Cooking, crafting, hanging. Let me know if you have time this next week. P.S. Missed you at PCMC this week! (KIDDING!) Loves

Adrian said...

Oh..I like your family picture.;) I will edit some for you like we talked about if you still want me too. Just tell me which ones, or come over and point them out then I will edit them.

Katie said...

Adrain, I would rather be able to follow a recipe and not screw it up. I have yet to throw some thing out that I created. I have thrown out recipes I follow.
We do need to get together and chat and photo shop. I may be getting a new camera. You will have to help me. Matts parents will be here tomorrow. I lost track of the last 2 days cleaning up my yard and garage.